Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

2/27/13

Busy? 10 Ways to Maintain "Healthy" While On the Go

Let's get right down to it, shall we?

While I would like to be in Cabo San Lucas and sipping on Mint Iced Tea...


I am actually in North Orange County moving apartments and trying to squeeze in a few cardio sessions this week. Trying. At the moment Joel and I have no electricity and I can't cook, which means we are eating loads of fruit, celery, bell peppers, and cans of tuna.

Blah.

So here are some things that help me stay "healthy" when I am on the go and super busy.

1. Drink tons of water. Hydration helps in so many ways (and not just weight loss!). I try to drink my weight in ounces every day. 135 pounds (my weight) = 135 ounces per day. Of course, I am not able to drink this much water every day, but because my aim is high I usually get at least 100 ounces in, and I notice a huge difference in my energy levels and my skin when I do get the proper amount.
    • "Consume part of the water required for proper daily hydration before your meals to control your appetite, according to a study by researchers from Virginia Tech and reported at the 2010 National Meeting of the American Chemical Society. Drinking 16 oz. of water before meals three times a day over a 12-week period increased average weight loss by about 5 lbs., compared with those who did not increase water intake" Livestrong  
    •  "The researchers estimate that over the course of a year, a person who increases his water consumption by 1.5 liters a day would burn an extra 17,400 calories, for a weight loss of approximately five pounds. They note that up to 40% of the increase in calorie burning is caused by the body's attempt to heat the ingested water. The findings are reported in the December issue of The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism." WebMD
2.  Eat every three to four hours. If you're like me and have a naturally slow metabolism, you have to learn to "trick" your body into speeding its calorie-burning process. I like to pack veggies, fruit, and almonds in my purse to ensure that I always have something to snack on throughout the day. This also helps me to NOT overeat when dinner roles around. Of course, when eating frequently you have to consider what you are eating frequently...those 100 calorie packs that are full of sugar, salt, and chemicals are going to do you NO GOOD WHATSOEVER.
  • Women's Health Magazine has a great article that features when to eat throughout the day. Check it out by clicking here.
 3.  Fill your fridge with lean protein, veggies, coconut water, cranberry concentrate, lemons, fruit, quinoa, almonds, almond milk (unsweetened), fresh tea, and hummus. Throw away all of the sugary and processed stuff...the more you see the stuff the more your taste buds will crave it.

4. Minimize grocery shopping time by making a list of what you need and sticking to that list. This will also help you save money! Don't wander down the cereal section (even the "healthy" cereals are usually loaded with chemicals/sugar), the chips section, or the ice cream section. Stick to the outer edges of the store.

5. At the beginning of each week, cook all of your meat and chop all of your veggies to save in prep time for your meals. This can seriously save you SO MUCH TIME. In the summer I also like to make a pitcher of green iced tea that I can pour into water bottles and take anywhere (this will also save you a ton of money from going to Starbucks in the middle of the day).

6. If you don't have time to drive to the gym, get your butt outside and go for a run, or follow along to any of the videos from these You Tube channels (click on the names to go to the links). Most of the videos are under 10 minutes and are totally do-able.
7.  If you must eat out, pick a restaurant you can trust. Try Chipotle, Jamba Juice (although READ the ingredients of the smoothies very closely. Some of them are just awful), Corner Bakery, Mothers Market, Whole Foods, Yard House, Cheesecake Factory (because they have every veggie and lean protein in the world and you can create your own meal), any organic fast-food place (they are here in Cali at least), Cafe Rio, or Flame Broiler (but stick to brown rice and no sauce with sugar in it).

8. Buy a few Lara Bars and keep them in your car for emergencies- these are all natural and have NO added sugar. They are made purely from fruit and nuts!

9. Plan out your meals! This will help you shop efficiently and also help you in deciding what you are going to eat that day/night. If you already have it written down your meals in a calendar you are probably less likely to splurge.

10. Just do it! Eating healthy can be difficult but it is so worth it, and your body will thank you in so many ways. 







1 comment:

  1. I cook all my meat for the week, and cook all my eggs on Sundays. It honestly doesn't take that long either!! Only takes a couple of hours, which in return will save you a so much time during the week!!

    ReplyDelete